Friday, June 29, 2012

End of an Era


If you know me at all, you've probably heard by now that I'm moving to Malaysia in about a month. I've accepted a 2-year teaching position over there and am super excited. I'm also nervous and minorly stressed about all that needs to happen before I actually move. Thankfully, I work well under pressure and know it'll all be done by the time it needs to be! :)

Although I'm excited, I'm also sad at the thought of leaving behind the past 8 years of my life. I moved to Newport News in August 2004 to attend CNU. I spent 5 years there getting my degrees and then went straight into teaching for NNPS. I've been at Palmer the past 3.5 years (did my student teaching there) and the thought of not returning there in the Fall is definitely sad. I made AMAZING friends there, had WONDERFUL students, and learned SO much.

As I went into school on the last day, it was kind of like the New Years Eve game my family always plays. "This is the last time I'll eat watermelon this year. This is the last time I'll talk on the phone for a year. Etc." (You've all done it, right? Don't make me feel like a weirdo!). So, yeah, that's what it felt like. Except, instead of it being the last time 'this year' (or for 30 more minutes), it was 'forever.' Well, I can't say I'll never return to teach at Palmer, but at this time, it's not on my radar.

Here are a few of my 'Last Times' that I thought about. There were hundreds more, but these are some that stuck out...
- The last time I'll teach in Room 21.
- The last time I'll walk down those hallways.
- The last time I'll check my Palmer mailbox.
- The last time I'll have a cook-out with Mrs. Bozung and 50+ students.
- The last time I'll present the Palmer Pride Award and have to explain to students that it doesn't really mean anything other than we didn't know what else to get you.
- The last time I'll have to wonder if the ceiling tiles are going to hold up one more day.

The last time I'll have to pack up this classroom! But, it does look pretty darn good, if I do say so!
The last time I'll drive up to this school as a teacher here.
You will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart, Palmer. And as someone recently told me, once a Panda, always a Panda. :)

2 comments:

  1. Aw, this one made me sad and I'm not even a Panda! So many good memories...I'm gonna miss those little tykes, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me a sadddd panda. (In case you don't get that reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fEzj0ZCJ0) Can't believe I've been missing out on Sad Panda jokes this whole time!

    ReplyDelete