Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Independence Day!

July 4th is one of my favorite holidays. It's actually kind of strange if you think about it. According to my friends, I'm not really American (grew up in Indonesia) and looking back at it now, I've probably spent about as many July 4ths out of America as I have in it. Regardless, I love the patriotism, food, fireworks, and reflecting on our freedoms. I also love wearing red, white, and blue. Which works out well, because the Malaysian flag is also red, white, and blue (with a touch of gold!).

See any similarities?

Apparently, Independence day is celebrated differently in Mississippi from Virginia and Indonesia. Obviously, Indonesia doesn't celebrate American independence. But, last summer, that's where I happened to be on July 4th, so my sister, parents, cousins and I did all that we could to make it extremely patriotic and memorable. If you'd like to read about the shenanigans we got into, click here. In Virginia, we usually have a cook-out at someone's house, play corn-hole, and watch fireworks. Since I'm in Mississippi this year, I'll be experiencing their traditions. So far on the agenda is: Church Fish Fry Fundraiser, (Almost) Talent Show, and fireworks.
The church that is hosting us is raising money to send some members on a missions trip, so our organization made a large donation that allows us all to eat at the Fish Fry. Can't say that I've ever had a fish fry on the 4th of July, but, there's a first for everything! I also can't say that I've ever had fried (or any) catfish, which I hear is what's on the menu.
After dinner, some members of our group are putting on a talent show. It's looking to be pretty promising.. mostly because I decided not to be in it. :) Should be a good time. All in all, it's been a good holiday!

Happy Birthday, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment