Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dragon Fruit

I've already told you about my grocery shopping escapades. They're intense. One reason being there are so many new and unusual items for sale. Case in point: Dragon Fruit. I've heard of these, seen them at the store, and I think my favorite smoothie at the local food court is Dragon Fruit/Mango. I've been eating a lot more fruits and vegetables lately and I think it's been making me more adventurous. So, after living here 6 months, I decided it was time to take the plunge and see what this Dragon Fruit was all about.

I cut one open tonight (why I even bought two in the first place is beyond me!) and here's what I found:


First thought: "Wow. Not all Dragon Fruit is pink." Below is a picture of the smoothie I mentioned. Based on the color of the skin of the fruit and the color of the smoothie, I'm sure you can see why I might have assumed that it was.
But, no. Apparently, there's white Dragon Fruit, Red Dragon Fruit, and Yellow Dragon Fruit.

Second thought: "It tastes kind of like nothing." It took me more than 6 bites to decide if I liked it or not. I'm still not really sure. I don't not like it and it's supposedly pretty good for you, so I'll probably end up eating it again.

Third thought: "So THAT'S what they've been trying to serve me at restaurants all this time!" I always thought the slimy fruit with all the black spots was lychees, but apparently I was way wrong. Lychees are just slimy and white. No black spots.

Fourth thought: "I don't want to throw this fruit away since I kind of like it. Let me make it into a smoothie instead because then I won't be able to taste it too much, but can still get the health benefits (anti-oxidants, high fiber, low calorie) and not waste it." Making smoothies is my new thing. They're so refreshing. So easy to make. And so hard to mess up. Case in point: The one I made tonight was mango, dragon fruit, banana, flaxseed powder, and coconut milk... and scrumptious. Who knew you could randomly thrown 10 things into a food processor and come out with a yummy dinner?

It may not look quite as beautiful as the one above, but I definitely wouldn't turn it down!

Tomorrow's 'new food' adventure: kale, banana, and pineapple smoothie. I'm not kidding. Haha. Here's to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment